The PEI Coalition for Proportional Representation is very pleased to announce we have joined the Every Voter Counts Alliance – February 25, 2016. Here’s how the Alliance describes its goals:
Canada needs a fair voting system that Makes Every Vote Count!
The Every Voter Counts Alliance brings together organizations and individuals in support of a fair voting system where every vote counts, independent of party interests.
A system that will:
- Provide all citizens a real opportunity to elect a candidate according to their values.
- Reflect the choice of voters without producing skewed results that do not reflect voter intentions like false majorities and exaggerated regional divisions.
- Produce a more diverse, inclusive, and representative parliament.
- Respect the federal character of our country and the existing distribution of seats by province.
- Increase voter turnout
- Evidence shows only a proportional representation can achieve these goals and values.
We call on the federal government to consult with experts and Canadians, then implement a truly fair and democratic system for the 2019 federal election. A way for Canadians to choose a local representative and see their political views represented in Parliament with equal and effective votes for all.