With less than 3 weeks before the voting begins it’s time to show your colours! Let’s paint this province with a huge Proportional Representation brush by using this bright image for your social media profile photo. (If you don’t use social media, read on!)
On Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram? Simply save the above image to your device, then go to your profile and upload as your new profile pic. Encourage your friends to download and use the image too!
The Coalition is reorganizing to make good use of our time and energy in the remaining weeks before the Plebiscite. Marie Burge from the Cooper Institute wrote this update for Coalition members on July 31, 2016.
Things you might like to know:
Dates of Plebiscite:
Friday, October 29, 2016 at noon to Monday, November 7 at 7:00 pm
Methods of Voting:
– On-line and telephone voting every day
– In-person voting on Friday, November 4, 4:00 pm to 9:00 pm and Saturday, November 5, 10:00 am to 8:00 pm
Where to vote:
– From your computer or phone
– In-person voting can be at any poll across the Island (one poll in each Electoral District, at a designated school)
What to vote for:
The Coalition is campaigning for people to vote for the Proportional Representation (PR) options
– Dual Member Proportional Representation-DMP and
– Mixed Member Proportional Representation-MMP)
The Coalition is not favouring one over the other, but is promoting BOTH models of PR.
How to vote for PR:
The Coalition is encouraging voters to rank the two proportional systems on the ballot as #1 & #2. And then mark the other three as #3, #4, & #5. Given the method of calculating the plebiscite results, if enough people do that (regardless of which one is marked as 1 or which is marked as 2), there will be a higher possibility of ending up with proportional representation.
Campaign in place:
– to get a high percentage (at least 60%) of people to vote
– to convince the majority of them to vote 1 & 2 for PR.
What we need:
– many, many people across the Island getting a buzz for PR going in their families, organizations, communities, electoral districts
– volunteers in every district to deliver PR information door-to door
– lots of media
– funds to cover campaign expenses
Exciting news! Coalition member group the PR Action Team‘s new website is up and running today. Visit www.PRonPEI.vote to pledge your vote for PR and to find out more about upcoming events to promote proportional representation across Prince Edward Island.